Friday, November 13, 2009

Car Conversations

The child's mind is a baffling thing. I love the conversations that occur while we are in transit. Some days they are non-stop. Today, on the way to preschool, Oliver wondered aloud with questions that got us all the way to our destination without a lick of silence.

Oliver: "Mommy, why did God make germs and bad people and bad animals on Earth?"
Mommy: (trying to think quickly) "I don't know, honey. So that we would have to struggle a bit and develop character. And animals are not necessarily bad, lots of times they are just being animals.
Oliver: "Oh. I think brains are disgusting and gooey. I would never want to have to see blood or goo."
Mommy: "Yes, but brains are fascinating organs...they help us breathe, think, use our imagination. And everything inside our body is a little gooey but nothing is disgusting. Like, surgeons are doctors and they operate on our insides and as you get older you probably would get used to blood and goo."
Oliver: "I want to be an engineer. But do you know what number i want to be?"
Mommy: "No, what number?"
Oliver: "Engineer #8. You know why? Because an 8 is made with two circles, and yogos are circles, and i love yogos."
Oliver: "I wonder what clouds taste like? I wonder if they taste like creamy cotton candy, or coconut? I wonder how it feels to walk on a cloud?"

Baffling. But amazing.

1 comment:

Helena said...

LOL! Yep, it's amazing to get a glimpse of what goes on in their heads sometimes.